Tuesday, January 15, 2013

LB. Simmons, Running on Empty - TOUR

LB. Simmons, Running on Empty - Review



I had the perfect life. 

Beautiful and loving husband.Three gorgeous little girls. 
Successful career. 

The only thing missing was the white picket fence. I really wanted that fence. 

Three years ago, I lost that life. I lost my husband. And I lost myself. But, eventually, I found my way through the darkness. I’ve made peace with my new life. I have my girls, and that’s all that matters. They are my world. I have no illusions of ever falling in love again or getting whisked away on a white horse. 

But then he came back into my life. On a freakin’ motorcycle.

There’s no way I’ll let him turn my life completely upside down. Absolutely no way. 

The question is…

How long can I keep pretending that I’m happy with my life being right-side up?




This is a book that I had been eagerly awaiting ever since I spoke to the amazing L.B Simmons for the first time, she is such a nice and genuine person that I had a feeling her Novel was going to be something special and I am very glad to say that I am right. After being given an ARC for the Running On Empty tour I couldn't put it down.

We first start off meeting Alex the amazing mother too three young children who is doing everything she can to keep her life together after loosing her husband, You can tell she would fight tooth and nail for her girls and even sacrifice her own happiness for them, if that isn't a good mum then I have no idea what is. 

"You go on, each day, as though you’re happy and at peace with your life. Or at least trying to convince yourself that you are. But you also go on, each day, not really living.”


This is Alex'a story of second chances, Family, Love and Happiness but above all friendship.


Alex is a 33 year year old mother of three who lost her husband three years ago, she runs a small business with her best friend Harlow Reed, who has been not only her shoulder to cry on but a friend who has been able to help her through the evens of the last three years. On the way to work one morning everything seems to be going wrong and then it all goes to shit when her car breaks down on the side of the road, surely there should be an alarm or something to remind you when your car is running low on petrol. 

Just one morning is all I ask. Just one morning where we can make it to the car with no major catastrophes or ridiculous arguments. 

Late for an important meeting Alex has no idea what to do, but then her night in shining armor turns up . . . well her knight in leather should I say. Her childhood friend Blake Morgan is back in town and ready to rescue Alex and whisk her away on the back of his motor cycle, well that is if she can stop being stubborn for a few moments and admit that she needs help. Can Alex learn to let him in and move on with her life? Or will she forever be stuck in the past and live life as an uphill battle? 


”You’ll never have your happy ending unless you’re brave enough to open the book and start your story.” 

This book was a delight to read, It literally gave me a warm feeling and I found myself smiling contently throughout. This is the kind of book everyone will love, and is perfect for snuggling up with a nice cup of tea and some chocolate.

“I feel safe. I feel protected. I feel relief. I feel scared. I feel vulnerable. I feel desire. I feel… 
Everything.”

There is such a diverse range of characters in this book that you can't help but fall in love with them all; from Harlow with her straight talking funny ways to Alex's three children who bring laugh out loud funny to a whole new meaning, Let me just hope when I have children I will have a best friend who can bribe them to clean their bathroom one a week.  



This book to me what an amazing story of second chance love and even though I was frustrated as hell at some points with Alex to the extent I wanted to give her a good telling off you can tell she wants to try and wants to let Blake into her life she just finds it difficult to let someone in who might end up going away.

"I love you, Alex. I loved you when we were kids… and I’ve continued to love you 
every day since.”

“It’s so much easier for me to cling to the memories of happiness than to consider any possibility 
of losing someone again.”

It is safe to say I have a HUGE crush on Blake, not only does he ride around on his motorbike rescuing damsels in distress but he is also calm collected and swoon worthy. He is the perfect guy to help Alex and make her realize that it is okay to love someone again and let them help you, he is amazing with her kids and can just bring a sense of calm to her otherwise hectic lifestyle.  

He looks at Rylie and chuckles. "Rylie, I love your whiskers. I didn't think it was possible, but 
they make you look even more stunning." 


This book was filled with tear jerking and touching moments as well as scenes that would leave any red blooded women hot under the collar. I would also Love to see more of Harlow in the Future as I think she has the potential to fill an entire book..

4.5/5 stars and I cannot wait to read more from L.B Simmons.

1 comment: