Sunday, January 13, 2013

Julie Hockley, Crow's Row - Review

Julie Hockley, Crow's Row - Review



            For college student Emily Sheppard, the thought of spending a summer alone in New York is much more preferable than spending it in France with her parents. Just completing her freshman year at Callister University, Emily faces a quiet summer in the city slums, supporting herself by working at the campus library. During one of her jogs through the nearby cemetery while visiting her brother Bill's grave, Emily witnesses a brutal killing-and then she blacks out. When Emily regains consciousness, she realizes she's been kidnapped by a young crime boss and his gang. She is hurled into a secret underworld, wondering why she is still alive and for how long.


Held captive in rural Vermont, she tries to make sense of her situation and what it means. While uncovering secrets about her brother and his untimely death, Emily falls in love with her very rich and very dangerous captor, twenty-six year- old Cameron. She understands it's a forbidden love and one that won't allow her to return to her previous life. But love may not be enough to save Emily when no one even knows she is missing.




My Review : - 

This again was one of those books that for some reason I seem to have had in my to be read pile for as long as I can remember and I have no excuse as to why I haven't read it yet, and now after finishing it I want to give myself a good slap around the head for not reading it sooner the only positive thing I can take out of reading now is that I will have less of a wait until the second book is out because as most of you know who have read/heard of this book is has one almighty cliffhanger that possibly caused me to shed a few tears  and need a cuddle. 

Some people may think that Emily has had an amazing upbringing, brought up in a lavish home with parents who have more money then sense. The thing these people don't know though is money doesn't bring you happiness; Emily parents are proof of this with their controlling, uncaring and selfish ways. Deciding that she has had enough, Emily decides to go into the world on her own two feet even if that means sleeping in a room that could closely resemble Harry Potters under the stairs hole.


“Colors. Would it be green or blue today? Maybe white—my favorite. A dark voice in the back of my mind offered no color at all as an alternative. I smothered that voice. The days of no color were simply too hard to bear. I needed color today."

Deciding to go the collage that will keep her close to her brothers grave, some people would call where she lives a ghetto; riddled with drug dealers and men you wouldn't want to bump into on a dark evening. It's only when she is literally bumped into, well crashed into by an attractive man's pet dog that her life is turned upside down. She knows that she shouldn't feel a pull towards him or anything that she has been feeling, but there is just something about him that makes her want to trust him, maybe even love him.

"There was no doubt in my mind that this boy was odd and beautiful - a dangerous combination. Something about his guardedness, something about the way others in the projects had looked at his with fear, made me think I should probably run the other way next time and concentrate on not thinking about him." 

Soon after meeting the beautiful stranger she finds herself witnessing an event that could put life in danger; while out for a run in the pouring rain Emily stumbles upon a murder, not just any murder but one commuted by that stranger. Moments later she is hit around the head and wakes up to find herself thrown into a world of unknown danger and trouble. She is essentially kidnapped and held captive but at least she knows the strangers name now, Cameron, but can she trust him to keep her safe?

“How long are you going to keep me here?” I drowsily continued.
Cameron pulled the glass out of my numbed hands and set it on the table next to me. “For as long as it takes.”
“And what are you going to do with me?” This came out as a whisper. My eyes were barely slit open.
Cameron paused on this question. He scanned my face, like the answer was written somewhere between the freckles.
“I don’t know” 


Although she is held captive it isn't in bad circumstances; she is aloud freedom to look around the house (no sorry mansion) and cook and interact as she pleases. She is even surprised to find herself becoming friendly with the people there. The book shows how thin the line can be between right and wrong, yes she was taken against her will but what if it was done for her own good? What if the people only wanted to keep her safe? 

Emily finds her self falling harder and herder for Cameron, there is just something about him that calls to her, while he may seem like a tough take no crap kind of guy he actually has many different sides to him that he eventually Lets Emily see. I even found myself as a reader falling in love with him, I found it difficult to hate him or even hate the fact that he took Emily in the first place. 

"Everything was different between Cameron and me. What I felt wasn't just mind games or some fabricated syndrome. What I felt for him, I had seen him, felt him feel for me too. I was sure of this."

Personally I would have loved to have seen more romance in the book, Yes I know there is a fine line because it is a YA book but a little sexual tension and over the top making out would have been heavily appreciated. 

“Whoever said that love hurts was wrong. Love is excruciating, especially when you can feel it slipping through your fingers and there is nothing you can do about it. Like someone was playing tug-of-war with my limbs, ripping to shreds whatever was left behind. What it would feel like when love was lost...I wouldn't survive that."

As many already know this book really does have one almighty cliffhanger and there for no happy ending, in fact I think I was still sniffling and wiping tears as I got to the last page. I need the second book now, I defiantly feel like an impatient child right now who wants to stomp her feet and scream until she gets what she wants. 

“You'll probably die if you stay with me,' he told me.
'Then I'm dead either way, because I won't survive without you.”


6/5 for this book, yes it really was that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment