Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Heidi McLaughlin, Forever my girl - Review.

Forever my Girl - Heidi McLaughlin - Review - 5.5/5


I was never supposed to be a rock star. I had my life all planned out for me. Play football in college. Go to the NFL. Marry my high school sweetheart and live happily ever after. 

I broke both our hearts that day when I told her I was leaving. I was young. I made the right decision for me, but the wrong decision for us. I've poured my soul into my music, but I've never forgotten her. Her smell, her smile. 

And now I’m going back. 

After ten years. 

I hope I can explain that after all this time. 

                                                                            I still want her to be my forever girl.


I Haven't been this excited to read a book like I was with this one, everything about it caught my attention and has be literally bubbling with anticipation. The cover, a rock star  the blurb, a rock star ... did I mention It has a rock star/musician god in it? 

The cover was another amazing design from cover-goddess 'Okay Creations' she always makes the perfect look for a book, I have also found that every book she has designed a cover for is amazing. She must have a talent for picking out the best story-lines.

 The day this book was released I had already arranged with family members that I would be totally unsociable and firmly attached to my kindle until the book was finished, and as soon as I read the first page I was hooked it was beautiful, gripping and full of emotion that pulled at your heart strings. 

As a reader I want to feel a pull towards a book when I read it, I want to be emotionally evolved with the story line and characters and Heidi was able to deliver that with her amazing writing style and thought provoking, hot under the collar story.

Liam is the kind of guy any girl would swoon over, there may also be possible fainting at his feet and drooling or would that be just me? Tattoo's, amazing smile, cocky and in a rock band. I think he may have just ticked all the right boxes.     

The story begins with the death of Liam's childhood friend, even though we where never formally introduced to this character I still felt heartbroken over his death, the emotion and detail that comes through Heidi's writing takes you into her world and doesn't let go go easily without a fight. You also Learn that Liam left home 10 years earlier to peruse his music, career personally I wanted to kick him a rather large kick for just leaving but you soon learn that it has broken his heart just as much as it broke those of the people back home Including Josie, his ex girlfriend and love of his life.

“I gave up on their dreams and the life we had all planned out. And now I was heading home to face the music.” 

Josie was left heart broken and confused when Liam walked out of her life, she was left not knowing what had gone wrong with her heart literally split in two. She has worked hard to put it all behind her and move on with her life, make something of herself. The last thing she expected was for Liam to one day come waltzing back into her life and to change everything.

“I thought for sure we'd spend forever together. I thought our love was one of a kind. I would almost be okay if he had met someone else and fallen in love, but he didn't. He just left. He said he was suffocating.” 
I loved seeing this story evolve and become something new, there was no easy fix for his mistake instead we got to see him earn Josie's forgiveness and become apart of his friends lives once again. Sometimes the journey is frustrating and emotional but it kept me reading, who needs bathroom breaks and food when you have an amazing read? 

The relationship between Josie and Liam was magical the way they came back together after all these years and him calling her his 'Forever girl' made me smile. 


I look into his eyes, his forehead rests upon mine. His mouth drops open when my fingers trail down his body, pushing him deeper.
"You're so perfect," he kisses me in between the words, showing me how much he loves me.
"I love you, Liam"
"You're forever my girl.



The story is told in both Liam and Josie's POV with a mixture of present scenes and scenes from the past; In some books this just doesn't work but with Forever My Girl I couldn't see the book being written any other way, it just worked.

I loved the bond between all the characters, you aren't just told about their connections you are shown in such a way you can see it play out in your imagination. I cannot praise this book enough it was pure genious and I cannot wait for further books from Heidi.

5.5/5 stars for this read! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment