Sunday, December 16, 2012

Nyrae Dawn, Charade - Review.


Nineteen-year-old Cheyenne tries to portray the perfect life to mask the memories of her past. Walking in on her boyfriend with another woman her freshman year in college threatens that picture of perfection. 

Twenty-one-year-old Colt never wanted college and never expected to amount to anything, but when his mom's dying wish is for him to get his degree, he has no choice but to pretend it's what he wants too. 

Cheyenne needs a fake boyfriend to get back at her ex and Colt needs cash to take care of his mom, so they strike a deal that helps them both. But what if Cheyenne’s past isn’t what she thought? Soon they’re trading one charade for another—losing themselves in each other to forget about their pain. The more they play their game, the more it becomes the only thing they have that feels real.

Both Cheyenne and Colt know life is never easy, but neither of them expect the tragedy that threatens to end their charade and rip them apart forever



From the moment I read the blurb of this book I knew it was going to be something special, something that would leave an impact and keep me entertained even after the book is long finished and I wasn't wrong. Nyrae Dawn is magical with words and that is apparent from the get go, she uses her skillful words and amazing imagination to create something beautiful.

Going to collage should be the one of the most exciting times of your life, the case was no exception for Cheyenne until she caught her boyfriend with another girl. All of a sudden her world has gone to crap, her ex boyfriend is all over the new girl and you realize all your friend where actually his.

Enter Cage... mhmm he can be one of my book boyfriends, if he were to learn to play the guitar then he could make the top 10 (yes I am a greedy bitch and have many book men in my life). The typical bad boy persona he is hotness and sex all rolled into one, with a side helping of ink... hello.

It's that stupid girl heart-pounding, hearts-floating-by-my-head thing. Where the guy who fights so hard to keep the distance, does something so small, it's huge. I can't help but let it inside. Let it mean something.

Wanting to move on and get her own back she makes a deal with the devil, well colt, he needs money and she needs a boyfriend. This is one charade that is bound to be adventurous and filled with drama and major sexual tension.


This is a game. Our game. One that I asked for, but with each day it feels more real. More real than anything ever has and I'm not sure how I feel about that. What to do. I shouldn't fall for this guy. He's got so much on his plate and he's not the kind of guy to really fall for someone.

Book also tackles some hard real life issues that aren't normally addressed in book of this genre but it works in such a way that you feel an emotional attachment to the story-line and characters. When they cried I cried, when they laughed I laughed I even felt their anger and when that happens you know you have stumbled upon an amazing read.


Cheyenne is someone who doesn't yet know what she wants, she thought she knew and it was taken away so the only thing she has left to do is to take a chance and go through with the deal with Cage. The one thing she never expected was for the game to become real.

"He loves you," she adds. "And I love you. You're everything I could have hoped for, for him."

Gage is the kind of guy who has so much family responsibility on his shoulders he find it hard to take anything else seriously, girls are just fun to him nothing serious and love is something he had never given much conscious though to but that was before Cheyenne walked into his life with her little charade and changed the way he thought about things.

"I thought this was a game," I reminded him.
“This isn’t a fucking game anymore. No charades here. I don’t know exactly what to call it, but whatever it is, it’s ours. I’m going to latch onto it. And never let go.”

This is a book I could read again and again and I cannot wait to read more from the author.

5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment