Monday, December 24, 2012

Molly McAdams, From Ashes - Review


When Cassidy Jameson's best friend Tyler took her to Texas with him when he left for college, she was expecting his cousin, their new roommate, to be a Stetson-wearing cowboy since his family owned a ranch; not this incredibly gorgeous guy with a husky Southern drawl that seemed to make the world stop whenever she looked at him. Because of her past, she's only ever trusted two men in her life, Tyler and her dad whom passed away when she was six. But there's something about Gage that draws her to him in a way she can't explain, only problem? He's always telling Tyler that he doesn't want Cassidy living there and sees her as nothing more than his little sister.

Gage Carson was excited his cousin Tyler was coming to live with, and go to college with him. When he'd called to ask if he could bring his friend Cassi with him, Gage didn't care. Gage had heard about this mysterious friend since they were kids and felt like he already knew her. Nothing would prepare him for watching her jump out of Ty's Jeep though. Not only was Cassi the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen, but there was something about her that within seconds of meeting her, made Gage want to protect her, and make her his. Too bad Tyler made it a point to remind Gage on a daily basis that he was dating her and she was completely off limits.

For a year and a half, Gage and Cassidy dance around their feelings for each other as Tyler continues to keep them apart; until one day Tyler unknowingly pushes her right into Gage's arms. With Tyler unable to keep lying to them, they finally start a relationship both have been craving since their first meeting. But when an accident and disaster sends her back to Tyler and California, will Cassidy be able to come face to face with the demons from her past to live a life she and Gage deserve; or will the fact that she once again ran to Tyler be the final push that ends Cassidy and Gage for good?

This is the second book from the unbelievably talented Molly McAdams, You must have been living under a rock if you have yet to read the emotional roller coaster that was 'Taking chances' It was one of my top reads of this year, it made me laugh, cry (that ugly snot cry where you end up hugging the box of tissues and wanting to huge your mummy) and untimely left me feeling like I had read something special.

Cassidy Jameson has quite frankly had a shitty life with a mother and a step-father who deserve to be given the worst parents of the year award (and the award should come with a beating) the fact she made it out was a miracle in itself. The only person who knew of her terrible ordeal was her best friend Tyler, who continuously patched her back together when things got a little too out of hand. 

“How people can do that to their own kid is beyond me. People like that need to be arrested, or shot. I’m sure we can find some ditches.”

Making a break for it when Tyler leaves for collage you realize that Cassidy's life is about to change forever, but will things improve or will her life continue to be an emotionally unstable mess. The first person she meets in her new life is Tyler's cousin and possible Greek God Gage, can we all just take a moment to imagine him in all his sexiness  . . mhmm. The only problem, he has a girlfriend, or rather a girl who is one step away from peeing on him to mark her territory.

“I couldn't care less if you’re friends with her. Just don’t forget that I’m the one who’s been there for her every day for the last eleven years. Not you. I still see how you’re looking at her, I’m not fucking blind, Gage.” 

One of the things I love in a book is the alternating POV between Cassidy and Gage, It gives you added depth and perception of the story line and characters. Once you read the book you will understand what I mean by Tyler creating such a frustrating situation the amount of times I wanted to slap him and get both Cassidy and Gage locked in a room together to just talk.

"It's complicated; we really were just friends. But she needed me; I couldn't just leave her. And I'm in love with her, man."

"The first night I met her, I felt her before I even saw her. It's like I had to look up at her, and when I did... I swear the world stopped moving."

She’s mine, Gage. Let’s get that clear right now.”
Okay, so maybe I’d been a little more obvious than I’d thought. “Thought you said y’all were friends.”
“She’s my best friend, but you’ll see. She’s mine." 

The only negative point I could find about this book where the time changes, I guess for me it seemed a little too much of a jump rather then a transition. This didn't make the book horrible by any means it just got a little confusing at some points but then once you got back into the rhythm .

The moment you meet Gage you want him to end up with Cassidy, you can see he is a nice guy and genuinely had a love at first sight moment and I think that is something that everyone wants to experience and be apart of at least once in their lives.

She nodded against me. “Do you need me to do anything?”
I didn’t need a thing from her, but I wanted everything. I wanted her to leave Tyler, to love me, to want to live here with me for the rest of our lives. I wanted so damn much.
”Just go back to sleep, then enjoy the rest of the day with the girls. I’ll be back tonight.”
”I’ll be waiting her for you.”
Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath in and held it. if only she knew what she did to me.

Overall this book was everything I wanted it to be, Molly McAdams has such talent with her plots and characters that you really get taken in and I loved every moment. If you haven't checked out this auhor you must because I know you won't be disappointed.

You had to find the beauty from the ashes. It didn't take long for us to realize it didn't just apply to actual ashes. Because there were a lot of times in our lives that we had to find the light in the dark. 

5.5/5!


No comments:

Post a Comment