Saturday, December 15, 2012

Jodi Malpas, This Man - Review


Young interior designer Ava O’Shea has an appointment for a first consultation at The Manor with the owner, Mr Jesse Ward. She is expecting nothing more than an overweight, cravat wearing, well-to-do countryman, and on arrival, nothing would suggest otherwise. How wrong could she be? This Man is devastatingly handsome, charming and confident. He is also a conceited, hedonistic playboy, who knows no boundaries. Ava desperately does not want to be attracted to him, but she can’t control the overwhelming affect he has on her. Every instinct is telling her to run, so she does, but Jesse Ward is not so willing to let her go. He wants her and is determined to have her. She knows she is heading for heartbreak, but how can she run when he won’t let her?

If like most readers you would have jumped on the 'fifty shades of gray' bandwagon and are now a huge fan any book that has an element of kinky fuckery and boy oh boy does this. Oh my someone give me a fan, or at least a naked man with a palm leaf I am sure that will work just as fine. 

Ava, although frustrating at times and was in places unsure what to make of her but eventually she found a place with me and I grew to love her. She may be indecisive and sometimes stubborn as a horse but you can tell she has her reasons and just needs that special person to unlock her and throw away the key. After coming out of what can only be described as a horrendous relationship the last thing on her mind is getting into anything, especially something with a rich, older man who seems to have fucking the living daylights out of her on his agenda. 

”I’ve fallen in love with a controlling, domineering, unreasonable, neurotic, trampling man, who happens to be a client and fucks me senseless? Oh, who also gives me the countdown when I disobey him.

Jesse, damn did he walk a fine line between possessive and controlling stalker - caring with just the right amount of arrogance to leave you hot under the collar. Sometimes you just wanted to scream at him to calm down and take a breather but another part couldn't get enough of the  intensity of the relationship and feelings. He is the perfect mystery with a marvelously dirty mouth. 

“Just tell me one thing before you leave, Ava.” His voice prickles at my senses… His face is serious, but still stunning. “How loud do you think you’ll scream when I fuck you?”

“You’ll always need me, Ava. I’m going to make sure of it. Now, let’s see if we can fuck some sense into you.” 

As much as I loved the character of Jesse he was sometimes too much and frustrating as hell, and that sometimes got a little too much YES I love angst and a possessive but loving man but there is a thin line between sexy and and frustrating and this does occasionally cross the line.

The chemistry between Ava and Jessie literally sparks off the page, I am surprised I didn't get contact burns. This book is more than worth a read, and will leave you literally needing the next book in the series.  

Although the sex is hot in this book there is no kink and funk in the relationship, which gives it a slight difference from other books of the same style. As much as I love a good kinky scene sometimes I want to take my sex straight up instead of swirly and loop the loop.

4/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment